Thursday, January 22, 2015

The Best Apple Pie Ever and the Easiest

My son in law says this is the best pie recipe I have and I keep making it because it is easy and it always turns out. What could be better, even the grand-kids like it, especially with ice cream.

I use a ready maid pie crust because it is quicker and I am not very patient with pie crusts but feel free to make your own if you want. I have found the IGA pie crust to be the best but Pillsbury works well also.





7 cups of sliced apple (about 5 medium apples)
2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh or bottled
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons butter

In a bowl toss the apples with the lemon juice and in another bowl add the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir  this mixture then add to apples and stir all together.
You should have one pie crust in your pie pan ready to load. You should have taken your pie crust out of the refrigerator and let it sit about 30 minutes before you try and unwrap it. This works better for me.  I spray my pie plate with pam before I put the pie crust in and this seems to help take out the slices better. I also use a deep dish pie pan because it always spills out of the short pie pans.
Put your apple mixture into the pie and dot with the butter in little chunks. Then put the other pie crust on and pinch the edges. Slice holes into top and spread 1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tablespoon water over the top with pastry brush. It will look like to much but it really comes out looking great. Put it on a cookie sheet and put it in the oven at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Then turn the oven down to 350 for another 40 -45 minutes. Let the pie cool before cutting.
Enjoy with whip cream or ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment